Chicken Giardino is quite possibly my favorite dish at Olive Garden. I love the light lemon pepper sauce and the perfectly grilled chicken. Recently I found out that the recipe uses white wine, and since I do not consume alcohol in any form or quantity, I decided to make it at home, with a few alterations.
The following recipe is taken from Olive Garden, and I’ve made a few modifications to suit my personal palate.
- 2 tbsp butter + 2 tbsp olive oil (you can use unsalted butter here if you want)
- ¼ tsp dry thyme
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or cornflour
- ¾ cup chicken broth OR 1 chicken bouillon cube + ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chilli flakes (omit if you want less spice)
- 500 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced into strips (the original recipe used 900 g, but I like more sauce and less chicken. Feel free to use the original recipe here.)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil + more as needed
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup green beans
- julienne cut 1-2 roma tomatoes
- ½ each red, green, and yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, blanched
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup carrots, julienne cut
NOTE: The original recipe uses a few different vegetables. If you want to see which ones, click on the link above. I think it’s really up to you to see which vegetables you want to add and omit.
- half a pack of fettuccine pasta, boiled
- Melt butter with oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in thyme, garlic powder, black pepper, dried parsley, and dried rosemary. Whisk to thoroughly blend and cook for 1 minute.
- Combine chicken broth (or water + bouillon cube), milk, vinegar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Add cornstarch and whisk until cornstarch has dissolved and there are no lumps.
- Add liquid mixture to sauce pan. Whisk all ingredients together, add crushed red chili flakes, and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat.
Chicken & Vegetables Preparation:
- Combine the ingredients listed for the chicken strips in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Leave the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Add in and sauté the chicken strips until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Add in all the vegetables and sauté until cooked through.
- Add the cooked, drained pasta and sauce to the pan. Stir until the pasta is thoroughly coated with the sauce. Don’t cook the pasta in the pan too long; this sauce is best enjoyed as a light coating, not a thick, lumpy one.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with chopped parsley.