Last week, LipSense Independent Distributor Leanna sent me a lovely package containing a few products from the brand for review, including their liquid lipstick, gloss, and lipstick remover.
The premier product for SeneGence®, LipSense is a patented, amazing departure from conventional lipsticks and lip colors. LipSense is versatile in that you can mix shades to create a number of effects.
- Unique product is waterproof and does not kiss off, smear off, rub off, or budge off!
- Does not dry out your lips – it works to restore the moisture content
- Color lasts anywhere between 4 and 18 hours
For best results, LipSense® products must be applied to clean, dry lips. For a more defined, finished look, use LinerSense® before applying the lip color. LipSense® needs to be shaken horizontally prior to application. LipSense® is applied by using a layering technique. Here is how to apply LipSense®:
Step 1: After placing color onto the wand, begin application at the corner of mouth, (usually) using the longest length of the applicator. Keep lips apart, and follow the natural shape of lips starting at the outer corner of the mouth. With one continual stroke, apply one layer of color from one corner to the other corner of the bottom lip, then one layer of color to the top lip. Apply the color, moving the applicator in one continuous direction versus going back and forth like you would with lipstick.
Step 2: Repeat Step 1 two more times, so that you have a total of 3 layers of LipSense® applied to your lips. Let each layer set for a few seconds before proceeding to the next, and do not press lips together. It is not recommended to apply more than three layers of color.
Step 3: When the application of the third layer of color is complete and the color has set, apply one of the LipSense® Moisturizing Glosses over the final layer. Do not press lips together until the moisturizing gloss has been applied onto the last layer of lip color. After applying the gloss, press your lips together to smooth in the moisture rich gloss and enjoy the glorious look and feel of this long-lasting, advanced color technology!
LipSense® Liquid Lip colors are removed by using Ooops!™ Color Remover or liquid Fooops!®
SenseCosmetics® Color Remover.
- This lipstick lasts! I applied three coats of it (that is the maximum you should apply), and I ate after that, I drank water and then tea, I smacked my lips, licked them, did what not with them, and the lip color stayed on the whole time. The swatch below? Yeah, I tried scrubbing that off with soap and water, and it wouldn’t budge. Thank God I received the remover, else I would be left with no lips in my attempts to remove this product.
- It comes in a huge variety of shades which can be accessed on the website. Leanna was kind enough to send me a catalogue which included the shades. I received the shade Bella which is described as being a neutral shade on the website. More on this later.
- On its own, it looks like a tattooed-on lip color, but with the gloss, I really like how it looks on the lips.
- The gloss isn’t overly sticky and doesn’t give 2006 throw-back vibes (i.e. it isn’t gooey looking). It actually looks like your lips are hydrated and satiny.
- You get 7.4 ml of product, which is much more than most brands ofter.
- At $25, it is one of the more expensive lipsticks I have used. You do get 7.4 ml of product with this one, while with most liquid lipsticks you get 5 ml to 6 ml for around $18 – $20.
- The color Bella is described as a neutral, but to me it a deep mauve-red which made my normally moderately pigmented lips look incredibly dark. The first second in which I wore it, I was really happy, and then the color darkened with more swipes. I was really not a fan of how it turned into an almost vampy brown-red on my lips after the third coat. (In the picture below, the darkness doesn’t show much because of the lighting, plus I am wearing 2 coats.)
- The formula is a very liquid-y one; almost like a stain. When I first applied it, it stung my lips a little, especially the dry bits, which is why the next day I prepped my lips with balm well before I applied this lipstick. Then, it stung a little less than before.
Note: You really need a remover (I use the Ooops!™ Color Remover) to wipe this off. Even my micellar water wasn’t a match for the staying power of this lip color.
Do I recommend this?
I think it is probably the most long-lasting lipstick I have ever tried. That said, I didn’t really like how the color looked on my lips. I was expecting a neutral, nude shade and this one made my lips look much darker. The shade was my choice, btw. I was asked which one I would like and I picked Bella because I liked it in a picture I saw on Instagram.
I am not sure of wanting to try another shade of this brand in the future, primarily because I don’t think I want a lipstick that lasts into tomorrow, and needs a special remover, and also because I am a little worried other colors may also darken on my lips.
However, for someone who wants the a lip color tattooed onto their lips, this is the next best option! I think if you are in search of a lipstick that doesn’t wear off with activity, give LipSense a try.
I received this product free for review purposes and the opinions here are my own, and are unbiased.