I’m on a matte liquid lip color rampage, I swear. I’ve reviewed NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in the shades Antwerp, Ibiza, and San Paulo in a previous post, here.
Now I’d like to introduce you to Stockholm, Cannes, and Milan.
Neither lipstick nor lip gloss, this matte lip cream is a new kind of lip color that goes on silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. Soft Matte Lip Cream is surprisingly durable and unlike some matte lipstick formulas also moisturizing.
More pictures after the jump.
Cannes is described on the site as a matte muted mauve. Now I own six shades of the Soft Matte Lip Cream (SMLC) range, and Cannes is by far my favorite of the lot. It is an absolutely beautiful shade, described quite well on the NYX site. It is a wearable everyday shade that goes with everything and can be worn in the daytime, or at night. I find myself reaching for this shade all the time. I’ve seen swatches of this online and it suits just about all skin tones, light, medium, or deep. I cannot stress enough how much I love Cannes. I even bought a second tube, that’s how much I love it!
Stockholm was the shade I really wanted, thinking it would work for me. NYX describes it as a mid-tone beige pink. This is a very nude, very beige shade on my lips and looks slightly lighter than my skin tone, which makes it look very, um, not good, on me. Disappointed at that, but the great thing is that this is a yellow-toned shade so I can use it to adjust the color of other matte liquid lip shades that I own.
Milan is described as a mid-tone blue-toned pink. The description is correct and I don’t like how it looks on my NC25 yellow-toned skin when worn on its own. So I use Stockholm to adjust Milan to my liking.
You get 8 ml of product for the price you pay.
I’ve discussed the yays and nays of these SMLCs in my previous post in detail, so I’ll keep it short here.
- Fantastic pigmentation. One swipe is enough for opaque coverage.
- Creamy formula, easy to work with.
- Applicator isn’t hard and allows for easily lining lips and filling them in with the product, though I would say use a liner beforehand.
- Great lasting power. Cannes lasted on me for a full 6 hours and faded slightly from the center of my lips after a hearty lunch. I reapplied the color lightly using the back of the doe-foot applicator and everything was good.
- Not drying on my lips, but not hydrating either. Still it is always best to apply a lip balm for a few minutes and then lightly wipe it off with a tissue before using matte lip colors.
- Huge shade range, with everything from nudes to pinks, to reds, and even purples.
- Inexpensive and you get a good amount of product for the price you pay.
- Cute, sturdy packaging. The product does not accumulate at the mouth of the tube unlike with some other similar products.
- The great thing about liquid lip colors is that you can draw outside your natural lip line for fuller lips, and these SMLCs in particular are really good for that.
- I LOVE CANNES!!!
- A really heavy, greasy meal would mean a reapplication is in order.
- The formula accentuates fine lip lines.
- The lighter shades like Stockholm and Milan will suit light and light-medium skin tones at best.
- Blue-based shades such as Milan may not suit yellow-toned skin.
I moisturize my lips with a lip balm before and after applying these Lip Creams. I apply them with the doe foot applicator, first lining my lips and then filling them in. This is best done while smiling. (Yes, you may look like a loon, but it gets the job done.) To take them off, I apply a lip balm on my lips while wearing the product and then swipe it off with a tissue or towel.
The shades look glossy in the picture below because the picture was taken immediately after I applied them. They dry down to a matte finish about a minute or two after application.
Apologies that I don’t have lip swatches of Stockholm and Milan. Apologies also for the crap quality Cannes lip swatch; I don’t think my picture does justice to how good this shade is.
Do I Recommend This?
In a word: Yes. Matte? Check. Long lasting? Check. Huge shade range? Check. Inexpensive? Yep. If you’re on the search for a product that fulfills these qualities, these Lip Creams are a good option.
If you are looking for a good everyday mauve-based shade, try Cannes.
Next on my wishlist from this range is Zurich.
Rings featured are from a lovely Facebook page, Bedazzled.
DISCLAIMER: Not a paid review. The opinions given are the author’s own unbiased thoughts on the products mentioned.